Its April of 2020 and Day 02 of A to Z challenge. This year, I am doing Metaphors. Be it a movie, song, painting, book, idiom, etc. I plan to give a perspective to it with an explanation and a 8 line poem.
Day 02 Metaphor: Barking up the Wrong Tree
Barking up the wrong tree is an idiom used as a metaphor to describe the wrong way of working towards a goal. It is used to suggest a mistaken emphasis in a specific context. It means that one has completely misunderstood something or are entirely wrong.
The context of the metaphor (known from historic sources) comes from America, nineteenth century, in reference to hunting raccoons with a hunting dog. When the nocturnal animal takes to a tree, the dog is supposed to remain at the base of the tree until the hunter arrives. However, in the dark, the dog might choose to guard a wrong tree where the raccoon could have taken refuge.
Poem: A tree,
Out in the wild,
Bear golden fruits.
Out in the wild,
Bear eatable fruits.
He was always there,
Barking up the wrong tree.
When one does not have a vision, delays the decisions, fails a perspective, wrongs the means, etc. it’s always a wrong bark. If one clearly knows the wrong, the tree and the bark, well, one has to.
Its April of 2020 and Day 01 of A to Z challenge. This year, I am doing Metaphors. Be it a movie, song, painting, book, idiom, etc. I plan to give a perspective to it with an explanation and a 8 line poem.
Day 01 Metaphor: Animal Farm
Animal Farm is a book by George Orwell published in 1945. The story line of the book is that a group of farm animals rebel against their owner (farmer – human). They intend to create a society where animals are treated equally and are free. The animal herd is led by a pig. Under the leadership of pigs, the animals are however later betrayed and end up in a similar and much worse state as before. The book is a metaphor reflecting the Russian Revolution of 1917 and the Stalin era.
For me, the book stands as a metaphor much larger than that. It talks about how a leader with poor vision can spoil the community and culture. It’s a metaphor that a leader who does not care can do no good to the civic. Through my poem, I want to bring this out using ‘Animal Farm’ as a metaphor.
Poem: I see the ears,
I guess they aren’t used.
And I see the years.
I can ‘see’,
I guess that’s the problem.
No, I am not an owl.
Howdy ‘Animal farm’.
The poem also uses several other metaphors. The leader with no ears, and years have been passing by. Though there is one who can see, is helpless, and like an owl blinded for the day.
What makes December 31 special, most probably, is that it is a representative day for what we were last year and the changes we want to see in the upcoming year. While for some, it is a reason to party, for some an opportunity to resolute and start afresh with new beginnings, and some-some so on for the remaining rest. It’s a birthday of ‘hope’ and gives all the reasons to celebrate. The celebration takes its form and favor.
Some dance, fireworks, Some read, social networks, Some family, blog, sleep, Some something else, beep, A cake, a celebration, a peace.
I am a person who always needs a metric and check. It has worked with me well, for earlier, I used to organize with a periodic task list and now I align them all with my year resolutions. The resolution plan also has contributed to the effectiveness and satisfaction factor. Oh, I so much have fallen in love with January 01 for it brings the passion, love towards commitments, and new beginnings. I started having resolutions since 2017 and it has worked for me most amazingly. Here is what happened in 2018 and then here is how I wrapped up 2019. Below are the works I would want to work on for 2020 with my utmost commitment (And of course, I really want to improve with my blogging commitments, like I used to do two years ago).
* * * * *
Task Set 01: Writing
1.1. Write at least 100 blog posts on itsphblog 1.2. Post 50 technical blog posts on itsphbytes 1.3. Take up A to Z Challenge in April 1.4. Participate in NaNo-Camps in April and July 1.5. Continue working as ML for NaNoWriMo 2020 1.6. Post 30 short poems on Instagram
Task Set 02: Publishing
2.1. Give final edits and get NaNoWriMo 2016 novel titled – i 4 you published 2.2. Revise, edit, revise, edit and NaNoWriMo 2019 novel titled – The Art of Ageing Gracefully published 2.3. Publish at least five ebooks through Smashwords
Task Set 03: Reading
3.1. Take up Goodreads challenge and read 20 novels 3.2. Read and explore two new domains in depth (Life Sciences and Digital Society)
Task Set 04: Research
4.1. Read 50 or more research papers 4.2. Publish 5 research papers (academic, research, management) 4.3. Build four new models related to research area 4.4. Implement 5 workable components for Knit Algorithm
Task Set 05: Profession (Academics)
5.1. Design and deliver two new courses (Semantic Web and Functional Programming) 5.2. Improve Coding profile (complete Basic CodeChef DSA certification) 5.3. Take up and complete 5 courses online (MOOC) 5.4. Design and deliver courses in unique environment (DSA, MT, APS)
Task Set 06: Profession (Industry)
6.1. Provide 30 meaningful internships from Knit Arena 6.2. Host Knit School 2020 6.3. Host 2 events from the company 6.4. Grow as Technical Lead at Transil (Internships, design, research, consultant, technology etc. )
Task Set 07: New
7.1. Conduct 3 workshops on various topics 7.2. Travel to two new places 7.3. Cook 5 new dishes 7.4. Work on building meaningful components for kids growth and development (dedicating to my kids) 7.5. Start and complete at least 3 new series/soaps
* * * * *
What are your resolutions for new year? (if you already have made one, if not I would recommend to do one, or more).
Ten simple rules for the better world. Ten simple rules to make ten more. 2020 could be it all if 2019 wasn’t. While some are living in memes, some have been one.
1. Get Physical. Run, exercise, and stretch. Exhaust yourself with physical tasks at least three days a week. The jobs of sitting in front of wired screens are slowly killing us.
2. Degree and Education are Different. Anyone can get a degree. Not everyone is educated. Next time you voice out for something, make sure you have read and understood it in holistic. Be an educated literate.
3. Time is Sexy. Don’t make people wait. Whatever end you are in. It’s funny how people can sit at home and do nothing for hours but cringe to wait for two minutes in a queue.
4. Seasons are Fucked Up. Nothing will change by posting and talking about it. Awareness campaigns are equally shitty useless. Everyone now knows.
5. Do What Educated do. Read and Write. Period.
6. Communicate and Commute. Write meaningful emails and talk sense. Know and use the etiquette’s. Cut the slang usage. Use cars wisely.
7. Social Media. It’s not everything. It’s nothing. Don’t just start living there. Not everyone needs to know every single thing you do.
8. Happy and Myth. There is a gigantic difference between you being happy and others thinking you are happy. There are people for whom cooking is the happiest thing to do and they do it every day.
9. Make New Resolutions. Often. Create a year bucket list and work towards checking all of those and ten more. Break it down to monthly and work seriously towards them. Be careful about distracting glitters.
10. Dream and Aim Big. ‘Big’ don’t need motivation or any inspiration.